Are You Prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse?

Is Kansas Ready for Zombies?

Caitlin Schmitt, Writer

Wednesday, September 30th 2015, Governor Brownback signed a proclamation to pronounce October as ‘zombie preparedness month’. What do you think this means for Kansas? What do you think Brownback’s intentions are for declaring October as ‘zombie’ preparedness month? The actual purpose of this month has nothing to do with the name. During October, Kansas residents will be encouraged to stock their homes with food, water and other supplies that can last them up to 72 hours.  I went around and asked students what they thought it meant right off the bat. Then I asked them what they thought about it after they were informed of the real meaning. First I told each interviewee, Then after I got their answer, I informed each interviewee of what the month is actually about and will be going on, and then I asked them what intentions Brownback will be going to during October.

“Governor Brownback is signing a proclamation today which will order October to be “zombie preparedness month”.. What do you think will be involved with zombie preparedness month?”

Junior Drew Reed said, “He’s (Brownback) probably trying to improve home security. I doubt they’ll go to any extremes that involve ‘zombie’ type of situations.”

Freshman Luis Anchondo said, “People will pull out their guns and prepare for zombies”.

Senior Ben Diel said, “I think it’s kind of weird. I know the military have reparations for aliens and such, but I don’t think it’s realistic. But if it does happen, I’m ready to quick scope.

ACTUAL MEANING: Zombie preparedness month will actually help homes be prepared for a natural or man-made disaster. “If you’re prepared for a zombie apocalypse, you’re prepared for anything,” Brownback said about the event.

“Now that you know what the month is actually about, what do you think about it? What intentions do you think Brownback has for signing this proclamation?”

Freshman Mackenzie Norman said, “Everyone will go underground and live underground until the zombie month is over.”

Junior Dorian Lueth said, “It’s a pretty good idea. If you’re prepapred for a Zombie Apocalypse, then you’re prepared for anything, just as Brownback said.”

Senior Ethan Lockwood said, “Houses will probably be reinforced and have more security, and will probably supply nonperishable foods, guns and ammo, gas, transportation, sustainable water.”

So, after being enlightened about Brownback’s intentions for Kansas during October, what do you think? Are you, your family and your friends ready for the ‘zombies’?