Have You Seen My Pants?

Tales from the Dark Room

Abby Stiner, Editor/Writer

A Tale from the Dark Room (1947)

The lost and found is a simple concept. If you lose something, you can check the lost and found to see if it is there. Currently in this year’s lost and found, you can find four hoodies, four shirts, three sets of keys, three pairs of glasses, two backpacks, two books, two pairs of socks, one pair of pants, a binder, an inhaler, an envelope, a gift card to the Buckle, a lock pad, a calculator, and a necklace. Secretary Kathy Goad says that the weirdest thing she has ever seen in the lost and found is underwear.

In 1947, the lost and found apparently was a problem. The article, “Lost and Found Box Has Many Unclaimed Articles”, from a 1947 edition of Panther tales, states “The lost and found box is running over and still no one claims anything. In fact the office is considering calling it the lost box since nothing is ever claimed or found by its owner.” Items in that box included “1 pair brown gloves, 1 calendar, book, 1 small purse with letters in it to Norma from Mickey, 1 pair glasses and case, 1 glass case, 2 billfolds, Bob Rychlecs picture with inscription “My Honey”, 1 golf ball, 1 blue turtle pin, 1 charm bracelet, 1 rosary, 1 typewriter attachment, 11 eversharp pencils, 1 ink pen, 12 fountain pens, and 1 lipstick.”

Some things have changed from 68 years ago. Students nowadays would not lose things such as typewriter attachments or letters. They are somehow misplacing their pants now. Students now probably wouldn’t have a picture of their significant other with “My Honey” written on it. The picture would be on their phone with the caption “My Bae”.

However, a few things still remain the same. School supplies are still being lost, and will never stop being lost, and books are still being misplaced. Lost and found items are not being picked up, just as in 1947.

Be sure to check the lost and found to see if you can find any of your belongings… you might even find your pants.

Do you recognize these items!
Do you recognize these items!