Considering Dropping Out? Think Again!

Considering Dropping Out? Think Again!

Caitlin Schmitt, Writer

It’s no secret that dropping out isn’t necessarily a good thing. Every year over 1.2 million students drop out of high school just in the United States. That’s a student every 26 seconds. Although the dropout rate has dropped by 3% between 1990 and 2010, it’s still a real problem. If you’re thinking of dropping out, don’t let it be an on the spot choice. Take a lot of time to think to yourself whether it’ll be worth it in the end or not. A lot of the time students drop out with a plan that fails. In fact, a majority of the ‘plans’ are excuses to get out of school.

Dropping out might sound like a good idea because of the benefits, which might include not having to deal with your peers, not worrying about your grades, you would have more time to work, you’re already pursuing a career you like, school’s boring. When people drop out, they tend to think about the positives. Yes, they make it sound great. But when you look at the negatives, you might think about changing your mind. Some of those negatives include finding a job that will support you that doesn’t require a high school diploma/GED which means you’ll most likely suffer income loss. A diploma might be a piece of paper, but it means way more than just that. Although, dropping out doesn’t just mean that you’ll lose job opportunities. You will most definitely miss out on skills that will help you later in life. Now, I’m not talking about trig or biology. I’m talking about finances, business law, art, drama, sports medicine, entrepreneurship, accounting, FACS, animation, and lots more.

DIPLOMA VS. GED

If you’re over 16, haven’t earned a diploma and you’re not in high school you’re eligible for the GED test. The test is designed as an alternative for students who don’t plan on finishing high school. However, just because the option is there, that doesn’t mean you should take it. It’s meant to be taken by students who don’t intend to finish school for an excusable reason. You also have to have a counselor’s approval before you can drop out and get your GED.

Getting your GED may seem easier than graduating, but it’s not academically easier. Your test will be graded on the same scale as the students at your past high school. To even pass the test, you have to get a score comparable to 60% of your high school’s seniors. The test subjects include science, social studies, mathematics, reading, and writing. At the end of the test, you will write an essay.

If you’re too old to appropriately enroll in high school, getting your GED is probably the best path for you. But it you can still finish school and get your diploma, it’s highly recommended to do that. Although getting your GED requires strong academic skills, it doesn’t give you any advanced educational opportunities.

ALC (Alternative Learning Center) and CBL (Credit Based Learning) both provide students at GBHS an opportunity to learn and complete courses at their own pace.   Many of our students use this opportunity to retake courses or use the flexibility to fill their schedule.   The ALC full-time students are required to be in school four hours each day but can stay as long as they desire.  The room is open from 7:30 to 5:00 daily.

“We would never encourage anyone to drop of school. Students participate in this program for various reasons which include:  work schedule, health issues, and early graduation.  Individuals have also used this room to earn college credit online.  Additionally, many students take advantage of the Work Study program which allows one to earn four elective credits by working at their job.  ALC is in the process of changing the name to Individual Learning Center as it better describes the program.” – Bill Maddy

For me personally, I’m very glad that ALC was an option for me. Tomorrow is actually my last day of high school. I did part time ALC this year with 4 classes. I liked it because I could work at my own pace and didn’t have to deal with other people. I’m graduating early so that I can get out of Great Bend. I personally don’t like being here and am not a fan of some of the students at the high school. So I think that in certain situations, ALC and classes on the computer are necessary for the students who want or need them.” – Grace McCulley

No I don’t think dropping out is ever necessary because jobs want prepared employees. I like the ALC program because it allows for students who have a reason to not attend full time classes to still get a full education and to graduate.” – Mr. Wetzel