Right on Track

Abby Stiner, Editor/Writer

The track team has been competing for about three weeks now and they’ve got the Junction City meet, the Great Bend Invitational, and the KT Woodman meet under their belt. On the boys’ side, Jeffrey Muiruri, senior, took first place in the 110m hurdles at the first two meets. He is currently ranked third in the state in 5A. Eric Vazquez, junior, placed first in Junction City in the 800m with a time of 2:08.66 and fourth at the home meet, running it in 2:04.69. Kerby Depenbusch, sophomore, placed first in Junction in the 3200m with a time of 10:16.41. He is currently ranked thirteenth in the state in 5A. The 4×800 team, consisting of Eric Vazquez, Quinton Elliott, Mason YellowWolf, and Isaiah Davis, won the race in Junction City and placed fourth at the home meet. They are ranked ninth in the state with a time of 8:40.3.

On the girls’ side, junior Kate Warren placed first at Junction City for shot put and second in discus, while teammate sophomore Carley Brack placed second in discus. Kate placed first in discus at the KT Woodman meet, with a throw of 35.58m. Warren is ranked sixth in the state for shot put. Karen Razo, junior, placed first in the 1600m at Junction City, second at the home meet, and third at KT Woodman. She is ranked tenth in the state with a time of 5:37.41. The 4×800 team, consisting of Macy Moyers, Karen Razo, Baleigh Fry, and Kaylan Lagerman, placed first at Junction City and second at the home meet with a time of 10:17.86, improving their time from Junction City by 13 seconds. “In my last season, I plan to work even harder at practice to improve my times. My relays team’s goal is to qualify for state and medal again this year,” said senior Macy Moyers.

The next meet is on Friday, April 22 in Buhler. Good luck Panthers!