Spotlight Staff: Kay Burns

Caitlin Schmitt, Writer

For those who don’t know, Kay Burns is a woman that makes very many things happen. Mrs. Burns is a registrar which under dictionary definition means an official responsible for keeping a register of official records. She juggles maintenance of student records/information, enrollment of new students, withdrawal of current students, mailing of official transcripts, mailing of report cards, honor roll, student demographics and who knows what else!

Kay Burns was born and raised in Great Bend, Kansas which is where she graduated high school. She has been married to her husband Tom for 35 years, and together they have three children, Erin, Allie, and Logan. She also has four grandchildren who she absolutely adores. She attended BCC, and she has worked at GBHS for 26 years. Her first three years were in the main office and the remaining and have been the secretary/Registrar in the guidance department and she loves her job!

When I asked Kay what her job consists of, there was a lot. Summed up, some of what her job consists of is getting teacher/student schedules ready for each school years, and approving updates pertaining to student/family emergency contact information. A large part of her job is to process enrollment for new students, and withdrawal of transferring students. She is also in charge of grade cards for each quarter. She forms the Honor Roll list each quarter, she records ACT scores, she maintains the Guidance Department portion of the GBHS website, she inputs all grades earned for our ALC program, and she assists Mr. Friess with planning the schedule of the next year. That’s a lot of work! Kudos to Mrs. Burns for getting all of that done and loving her job while doing it.

If you need to change any of your personal/family information, you’re having problems with your Skyward, you need a copy of your report card, you need a copy of your cumulative files (Birth Certificate, SSC, Etc.”), you need a copy of your transcript, you need to go talk to Kay. Her office is at the front of the guidance office when you walk in the door.

When asked if she thinks she makes a difference in our school her response was “I would like to think that I make a difference. I am always eager to help students with anything that they are needing whether it is for here at school or sending out their transcripts to colleges that they are interested in for the post-secondary plans. I am proud of our school and want to make our school the best it can be”. If that isn’t a dedicated employee that needs her own spotlight, I’m not sure who is.