Great Bend High School Remembers

Brittani Weers and Jacy Gross

On September 11, 2001, at 8:45 AM an American Airlines Boeing 767 struck the first building of the World Trade Center. People began evacuating from both buildings, only to be stunned by the second plane smashing into the second building, 18 minutes later.

Great Bend High School remembers the tragedy in many ways.  Ben Diel (Sr.),  played “TAPS” over the intercom during the morning announcements, while students recognized the moment of silence. Following the morning announcements, teachers were asked to show a video in remembrance of 9/11 that was edited by Aaron Mull, a graduate of Great Bend High School.  Mrs. Mulch has a memorial in the Library, and history teachers are showing 9/11 videos and documentaries throughout the day to all of their classes. All around the country, flags will be kept at half mast for the entirety of the day.

Of the great teachers at Great Bend High School, many were teaching 14 years ago, and a few were still students. When asked what the reactions to this tragedy were, one word has a resounding impression: shock. Everybody seemed to be in complete shock throughout the day.

Mr. Botzung continued teaching his anatomy class, trying to make the day as normal as possible.

Several teachers simply took their students to the closest television and watched as everything unfurled before their eyes. Some didn’t find out about the attack until second or third period when concerned students traveled mindlessly from one class to another. Ms. Narin, who was a fourth grader at Park Elementary, remembers her teacher getting scolded for letting the students watch as the second plane smashed into the second building.

Mrs. Pfannenstiel says “There was a very somber mood. Everybody just watched in complete silence.”

Mrs. Hiss was in complete shock and confusion. “This can’t be happening” was the only thought she could fathom.

As time passes, the shock of the moment has subsided but the thoughts of confusion, somberness and pain still linger, and do not get any easier. Memories from fourteen years ago still feel as if they happened yesterday. Time heals all wounds, but will never replace the lives lost on this tragic day, 14 years ago.