GBHS students excel at Vortex; Journalism students learn life skills

Brian Hutchinson, GBHS art instructor, describes the paper mache’ projects in progress to eighth hour journalism students on April 4.

Mrs. Rachel Harmon

Eighth Hour Journalism Class, Reporter

GREAT BEND – Interesting things happen every day at Great Bend High School. Mrs. Harmon’s eighth hour journalism took the halls April 4 to nose out news.

“We were looking for news when we stumbled upon Mr. Hutchinson’s class,” said Blake Stegman, student journalist. “We were able to interview him about upcoming art events.”

Brian Hutchinson was scurrying around preparing for this year’s Teacher of the Year Tour.

“It is our turn to host,” said Hutchinson. “The atmosphere of the art room is pumped up 20 times on steroids.”

The TOTY Tour rotates annually among TOTY nominees, who enjoy visiting other schools for ideas and fellowship.

“We’re showing what Great Bend High School has to offer,” said Hutchinson.

TOTY nominees also toured the Vortex regional high school art competition at Barton Community College.

GBHS was well represented. Thirty-five students entered 50 pieces and brought home 10 individual awards, which accounted for one-third of the total awards presented.

For Angel Corona, freshman, the show was very emotional.  Corona received 3rd place on his pencil drawing. “The crowd can see your work. Once they look at your work, they smile,” said Corona. “It makes me happy to see them smile.”

Providing feedback to students about their work helps them to grow.  “It’s even better to get their artwork out in the community to showcase their talents,” Hutchinson said.

Mrs. Harmon’s journalism students are learning that newsworthy events occur every day at Great Bend High.  “There’s a story behind virtually everything we see,” said Jesse Hames, student journalist. “We’ve learned to look deeper into the events and people around us. What we do in journalism helps us not just in class, but in our regular lives.”