GBHS Students Celebrate Anniversary of ‘High School Musical’

GBHS Students Celebrate Anniversary of High School Musical

Abby Stiner

Ten years ago, the world was introduced to songs like “Breaking Free”, “Stick to the Status Quo”, and “Get’cha Head in the Game”. We met Troy Bolton, the star basketball player at East High, Gabriella Montez, the brainy newcomer, Sharpay Evans, the girl who loves being in the spotlight, Chad Danforth, Troy’s best friend, and many others. On January 20th, 2006, High School Musical premiered on Disney Channel. The movie took the world by storm. There were 7.7 million total viewers in the United States alone. Around the world, it reached over 100 million watchers. It received two Emmys, a Billboard Music Award for Soundtrack of the Year, an American Music Award, and more. The movie inspired High School Musical: The Ice Tour, a sold-out 52-date arena concert tour, High School Musical 2, High School Musical 3: Senior Year, and Sharpay’s Fabulous Adventure.

Because of High School Musical’s ten year anniversary, Disney Channel aired the movie along with the cast’s reunion during the commercials. During the reunion, the actors remembered the times they had filming together. They showed clips of the actors’ auditions, clips of dance rehearsals, and old pictures. They even gave Corbin Bleu, who plays Chad, his old Wildcat jersey back. Something was missing, however. Zac Efron, who plays Troy, wasn’t able to make it because he was promoting his new movie. “He totally lied about always being a Wildcat because he said “Once a Wildcat, always a Wildcat”, so I was really sad,” says senior Michala Bieker. Efron did film a short video apologizing for not being there, though.

Many of Great Bend High School’s students took part in watching the reunion. They remembered all of the good times that accompanied the movie. They rewatched all of their favorite scenes and songs. “My favorite scene is when Troy sees Gabriella at school, and realizes she goes to the same school he does because that is how their relationship starts,” says junior Taryn Morgan.

Because of the High School Musical reunion, some Twitter users are trying to get the Hannah Montana cast back together for their ten year anniversary. Hannah Montana debuted on March 24th, 2006. Maybe in March GBHS students can reminisce about the good memories the show brought.