Spotlight Staff: Mr. Friess

Caitlin Schmitt, Writer

Mr. Friess received his Bachelor’s degree from KU, and his Master’s from Fort Hays State University. This is Mr. Friess’ 30th year with USD 428. He was a teacher for twelve years, vice principal for twelve, and he’s been our head principal for six years.

“Do you feel that you make decisions that affect our school in a positive way?” We make a lot everyday. I don’t need any credit for what I do. I like to make sure the teachers know I’ll take all the blame, and they can take all the credit. I intend for faculty and staff to feel that they can rely on me.

“What is something you do that people don’t know?” If there’s a spill I’ll clean it myself. I don’t mind doing the dirty work if it helps. Just because you’re in a suit and tie, that doesn’t mean you can’t help out.

“Funniest story?” Back when I was teaching thirty years ago, I helped out during lunch in the lunch room by walking the halls, catching smokers in the gym. One day I seen two kids sneaking behind the football stadium to most likely have a cigarette. When I walked over and found them they were confused as to how I found them in their good hiding spot. All I said was “All i had to do was track your foot prints in the snow.”

“How do you feel you’re perceived by the students?” I think the students feel that I’m fair and know I’d do anything I could to help them.

“How do you wish to be portrayed by the students?” The same way… Don’t be afraid to come to me. I’ll try to do the right thing without wearing a black and white hat.

“Why is the school suddenly so heavily enforcing the PDA/respect campaign?” We felt the most important thing is who’s teaching you and what and if you’re learning correctly.Respect is so important because it can take you so far in life. The staff and students of GBHS are getting tired of it. An occasional hug and kiss is fine, but don’t go overboard.