Spotlight Staff: Secretaries (Part two)

Caitlin Schmitt, Writer

If you have to leave school, get to school late, get called to the office, or hear your name over the intercom you most likely have to communicate with a secretary. Here at Great Bend High School we have four front office secretaries. There’s the receptionist, attendance secretary, the discipline secretary, Mr. Friess’s (Head principal) secretary, Activities secretary, and the financial secretary.

LAURA MILLARD: This is the lady you see if you’re a sub, but most importantly, she’s the head principal’s secretary. Anything Mr. Friess needs done, she does! She also has a thing for spicy Cheez-It crackers. “I follow Mr. Friess’s orders as his secretary, and I also email parents and students about upcoming school events.” Laura’s funniest office story is when they were holding an angered student in the conference room to cool down while his dad came, and when his dad came Laura said the father threw an empty cup out of the room and it went right behind her chair and hit the wall.

PAM JENKINSON: This is the lady you see if you when you owe the school money, the soda machine eats your dollar, or any other financial trouble. “I try to make a difference in our school everyday, and I hope I do.” Pam’s funniest office story is when Mark Bretches came in to sub and pranked the office, telling the office ladies he was taking care of a friends pet mongoose, and he was going to keep it in the trunk for the school day. This made Pam upset so she made him bring it in and they were trying to look at the ‘mongoose’ when Mark said “Here, I’ll try to get him out,” And it ‘flew out’ scaring the office ladies.

LANA WOLF: This is the lady you interact with a lot if you’re in any sports and/or activities. “My responsibilities are behind the scenes and are usually seen through our high profile activities. I’m fine with being behind the scenes.” Her funniest story happened a while ago when she had a closet in her office and it had mouse in it. One day she reached down to grab her purse and a mouse jumped out at her!