NHS, What is it About?

Sayler Peplinski, Writer

It is that time of year again when the National Honors Society is starting to look for new members for next year. “NHS is really about being a leader, it’s about being about an all around good person, and surrounding yourself with service for others” said Kayci Strickland NHS sponsor. NHS is not one of the most well known clubs in our school but every once in awhile students hear about something that NHS has recently done. You may have seen NHS members asking for pennies during lunch for charity. The charity that the club NHS was helping was Pennies for Patients. Recently NHS has sent out their letters to students who qualify to join this club. These students have a GPA of 3.8 or higher which is an extremely hard thing to do. Matthew Phillips one of the students applying to NHS said “ I’m really looking forward to helping out the less fortunate.” This is the type of attitude that members of NHS have or their applicants have. What NHS really prepares students for is that it shows students how to be leaders which can help members get into a good college with scholarships for being in NHS. Many people around the school are former members of NHS and they have done extraordinary things. The people who apply and are also in NHS have ambitions to help the community and change the future which makes people ask the question where will these ambitious students be in the future.