Throwback: The history of Girls’ and Boys’ State

Rossiel Reyes, Reporter

In the April 1986, edition of the Panther Tales, an article covers a story about the students participating in Girls’ and Boys’ State. Thirty-one years later the tradition to send boys and girls to both of these programs remains strong for Great Bend High School. This past summer Robert Frizell attended boys’ state while Hunter Ruppe, Heaven Yager, Maggie Hillman, Rossiel Reyes, and Daniela Astrain attended girls’ state.

When questioned, Ruppe shares that she first heard of Girls’ State from her mom saying that, “My mom actually went to Girls’ State when she was my age.” By attending Girls’ State Ruppe says that, “I am still in touch with all my friend from there. I love the people I met and I wouldn’t trade it for anything!”

As a fellow stater myself, I can agree with Ruppe when she says, “I would tell everyone to go to Girls’ State if they could!” The opportunity to learn more about how the government works is something we should not pass up. You meet people and make new friends that will last you a lifetime. So, if you are a junior interested in Girls’/Boys’ State, please do not pass up this opportunity! It is obvious from past years that students enjoy their time at Girls’/Boys’ state because every year more and more girls/boys want to attend.