Panther Tales

Martin Luther King Jr Day

Martin Luther King Jr

Martin Luther King Jr

On the third Monday of January of each year we celebrate Martin Luther King Jr day. MLK was a civil rights leader from mid 1950’s up to his assassination in 1968. He desired for human rights and equality for African Americans. Elena Tobada said, “I think MLK helped shape America in many ways and especially in society with racism and equal rights for everyone. MLK helped out everyone in every shape or form.” Some remarkable things that MLK did was bring publicity to civil rights activities, highlight and encourage the importance of non-violent protest and resistance, and provide direction to the African-American civil rights movement. Students were asked if they believed if Martin Luther King was a good leader Katetlyn Scherer answered, “Yes, I think he was a very good leader. He fought for the rights of people.” Some of his most famous speeches include “I have a dream” and “Letter from Birmingham Jail.” Dr. King’s use of nonviolent protests sparked a social change in the U.S, “His genuine desire for the country to come together was ultimately recognized as a great contribution to America; his untimely death was a loss to everyone and started an era of great potential for the nation.” The first time Martin Luther King Jr day was recognized as a national holiday was in 1986, the bill was signed into law by president Lyndon B. Johnson.  So today we acknowledge  Martin Luther King Jr’s life and success as an influential American civil rights leader.

“What Did Martin Luther King Do to Progress the Civil Rights Movement?.” YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 15 January 2018. <http://biography.yourdictionary.com/articles/martin-luther-king-progress-civil-rights-movement.html>.

Read more at http://biography.yourdictionary.com/articles/martin-luther-king-progress-civil-rights-movement.html#ASMAhxZ8QEBprvBl.99

• Martin Luther King Jr Day

Arts & Entertainment

Variety Show

• Martin Luther King Jr Day

Arts & Entertainment

Riley Elementary School 10 years later

• Martin Luther King Jr Day

Clubs & Activities

GBHS teacher inducted into the West Kansas NSDA Hall of Fame

• Martin Luther King Jr Day

Arts & Entertainment

Throwback: A walk down memory lane

• Martin Luther King Jr Day

News

Pi Day

• Martin Luther King Jr Day

News

The Debate on Gun Control

• Martin Luther King Jr Day

News

Athletes moving on to bigger things

• Martin Luther King Jr Day

Arts & Entertainment

Kansas Day: a day to celebrate

• Martin Luther King Jr Day

Arts & Entertainment

What is net neutrality?

• Martin Luther King Jr Day

News

Trick-or-treating in a Winter Wonderland!

The student news site of Great Bend High School
Martin Luther King Jr Day