Graduation Traditions Around the World

Edith Solorzano, reporter

As graduation day gets closer, our seniors start preparations for the big day. Graduation party, final senior pictures session, and post-celebration notes are some of the things that students need to keep in mind as they prepare, or at least they are for students here in the states. Countries and cultures around the world have their own special way of celebrating graduations.

Instead of using a traditional cap for graduation, students in Sweden all wear matching sailor hats, and to conclude their celebrations students will participate in a citywide parade where the community will show their support to the students.

Ismael Rodriguez from Venezuela said, “We have a party, like prom, but it’s just for one class and then we have a trip.”

In the Japanese school calendar students start school in the spring so they don’t graduate until march. The Japanese culture take pride in their traditions so a graduation celebration isn’t anything different. Students perform choreographed routines of singing, dancing, and marching.

If you thought having final exams towards the end of the year is bad at least you don’t have to take one on graduation day. In Germany seniors are required to take an exam in order to get accepted in universities and gain apprenticeships.

Our traditional gowns are very plain and simple but, in Spain their traditional wear makes it a little bit more fun. They include a built-in cape and have lace cuffs with a large hat. “In China, we don’t really have a graduation.

After you finished 12 grade in China, you have to take a test which is really important and we call it Gaokao. Also, the test will determine which college you are going. The better you score the better the school. Therefore, it’s actually really hard and we pay most of our attention on the test. So we don’t really have a graduation,” said Yan Han.  

A usual graduation tradition that the world has in common is wearing your best dress clothes; unless you’re in Argentina. Students there get showered in ketchup, syrup, and other sticky substances.