In With the New: Meet the Panthers

Bayle Sandy, Reporter

GBHS Fall Athletes Meet and Greet the Community at Annual “Meet the Panthers”

On a sunny Sunday afternoon last Sunday in Downtown Great Bend, sports ranging from football to golf had a chance to be recognized. As the Great Bend High School activities director, David Meter, said, Meet the Panthers “creates some excitement here in the community.” He explained how this event is a kickstarter for the upcoming athletic season and pulls people out of their houses to meet the coaches and students that represent Great Bend.

For the event, the administration decided to make some changes that differ from past years.

This year the GBHS marching band was added to the schedule. Meter described how the band “added a nice touch with the fight song and some of the music they had.” The band helped kick start this event with their upcoming musical theme this year of “throwbacks” as heard from assistant band director, Don Regehr. Regehr added that he had no problem finding volunteers within the band to come out and play, even though the band was asked last minute to perform for this event. On another note, the new director of the band, Grant Mathews (former Liberal High School band director), adjusted well to his new school. He led the band in the fight song and participated in many of the cheers.

Another turn of events this year is the change to the senior quarterback, Dalton Miller.

Dalton Miller has been a major contributor to the football team’s defense-ranking as high as #2 at the safety position in the state.  So with the change to quarterback, many fans fear a regression from the Panther’s traditionally stout defense.  However, head coach Erin Beck commented that Miller will “still play defense” and is a “kid who has proven to us and to our team that he’s very capable of still being all-state, and so he will do both.”  Miller is not concerned about playing both ways affecting his chance at scholarships on the next level, he believes recruiters will be “looking at me more as an athlete who can play multiple positions.”  The energy and expectations are high, and this year looks promising for the Great Bend High School football team. 

Meet the Panthers is a great opportunity to bring together all of the teams throughout the year to see the support of their fans. It helps promote and provide a sneak peek into what is planned for the athletic season. This event is yet another way to help showcase the great students of Great Bend High School.