How Many Cans Can a Can Van Cram if a Can Van Could Cram Cans?

CJ Gibson

“Cram the Van” is a competition between schools in USD 428 of which school can donate the most non-perishable food items. Great Bend High School will be competing against the other schools in the district for a grand prize of $500 provided by Hiss Sherman Wealth Management, followed by $300 to the 2nd place school, $200 to 3rd place, and $100 to 4th place.

In addition to the district-wide competition, the high school classes will also be competing for the ability to slam a pie into the face of administrators and other staff members. Students from the winning class will fight for the right to pie a face through a raffle; the more food a student donates, the more chances they have to win said raffle.

The “Cram the Van” event will be from October 10th to the 17th. At the football game on Friday, October 18, there will be one last drawing for a grand prize, provided by Wheatland Electric, for attendees who bring donations to the game.

Each class has a room designated to drop off their donations: seniors in Kayci Strickland’s room, 214; juniors in Wendy Popp’s room, 122; sophomores in Karen Clark’s room, 203; and freshmen in Lori Tennis’s room, 121. The box for the senior class was frequently empty this week. Although Great Bend is the largest school competing, the placing is determined by the most weight per student, so GBHS needs a substantial part of the student body to contribute in order to win.

As GBHS Attendance/Behavioral Interventionist Karla Martinez put it in her email to staff and students, “Let the challenge begin!”