Four GBHS Students Named Semi-finalists in WSU Scholarship Competition

$64K Scholarship on the Line

Bayle Sandy, Daniel Abbott, Patrick Heath, and Dalton Dicks

Four Great Bend  High School seniors have been named semi-finalists in Wichita State University’s Harry Gore Memorial Scholarship competition. Each of these students will receive $4,000 to attend WSU.  The semi-finalists were chosen out of a pool of about 700 students from across the country during the Distinguished Scholarship Invitational. The semi-finalists from Great Bend are Daniel Abbot, Dalton Dicks, Patrick Heath and Bayle Sandy.

The competition, which took place last month, was based on scores from a written essay, a group problem solving activity and an interview.  To be eligible to participate in the competition, the seniors had to apply for Wichita State, and had to have earned above a 3.7 GPA and scored above a  27 on the ACT. Great Bend High School was also represented in the competition by C.J. Gibson, Hayden Honomichl, Christopher Schenk and Allen To.  

All of the semi-finalists from Great Bend are members of the Panther debate team.  Debate coach, Kim Heath, is delighted by the accomplishments of her students. “I am blessed to get to work with these talented young people every day in my classroom.  Their success in the DSI scholarship competition is a testament to their quality as individuals and helps explain some of our debate team’s incredible successes,” Heath said.   Additionally Heath noted that the skills learned on the debate circuit are serving the students well in their scholarship competitions and job interviews. She stated that, “knowing how to synthesize information and deliver it to an audience succinctly is a skill that will benefit them throughout their lives. Along with the art of persuasion, debate teaches students confidence and composure when speaking with others.”

The four GBHS senior semi-finalists will now move forward in the competition.  The WSU committee will select 10-12 finalists and eventually award up to three winners  a coveted $64,000 Gore scholarship. The Gore scholarship has been awarded annually since 1954 to freshmen entering WSU who display outstanding potential for leadership. It has become one of the most prestigious awards in the United States.

In 1952, Theodore and Ralph Gore established the Harry Gore Memorial Scholarship in memory of their father, Harry Gore, a Russian immigrant who placed a high priority on education. The commitment of the Gore family continues through the support of Andrew, son of Theodore. The Gore Scholarship does not place restrictions in studies or activities upon its recipients. It encourages personal growth and involvement in leadership positions.