Buffalo the Buffaloes

Laura Daniel, Reporter

Friday is Valentines Day! What is a better way to spend the holiday with a pep assembly at school and the winter homecoming game that evening. The Panther basketball teams are playing against the Garden City Buffaloes.

Representing the homecoming court for freshmen are Lakyn Smith, Bryan Chacon, Aubrey Smith, and Blaike Parsons. The sophomore representatives are Sage Koelsch, Allyson Kaiser, Amy To, and Aidar Aitmamatov. Junior representatives are Cole Streck, Zoe Jerke, Abbie Moyers, and Cristian Ruiz.

This year’s candidates for homecoming king are Bryce Brown, Dylan Lamb, Luis Zamarripa, Junior Franco. Queen candidates are Tashauna Arnold, McKenna Esfeld, Maci Gwin, and Joanna Sanchez. The crown bear and flower girl are Tayla Broeckelman (daughter of math teacher, Nathan Broeckelman) and Clayton Johnson (son of English teacher, Holly Johnson). The ballots to vote for homecoming king and queen will be sent out over email during 3rd hour on Friday.

When asked about homecoming and her nomination for the court, McKenna Esfeld said “I was really excited! I love dressing up and was pumped to represent the senior class. My favorite part about homecoming is the energy and the atmosphere and when everyone participates (I hope). [Dylan Lamb and I] both, I believe, are great representations of the high school, ranging from our music abilities to sports. But if [we don’t win], I had fun being on court.”

The pep assembly is on Friday at 8:00 a.m. At the assembly, the homecoming court, dance line, cheer, winter sports, Senior boys dance, and class chants will be recognized. After the assembly, the seniors will need to stay for a senior class picture.

Junior varsity girls will have a game at 4:00 p.m. in the main gym. Freshmen girls will have their game at 5:30 p.m. in the PAC (Panther Athletic Center). The boys junior varsity game is at 4:00 p.m. The freshmen boys team will follow the junior varsity at 5:30 p.m. Both boys games are in the PAC. The girls basketball game is at 6:00 p.m. and the boys basketball is at 7:30 p.m. The cheer team and the dance line will be performing at the games. Between the end of the varsity girls game and the beginning of the varsity boys game, the homecoming court will be announced and the king and queen will be crowned. Wear your red and black and watch the games on Friday to cheer on the Panthers and meet your GBHS royalty!