Great Bend High Students Break Sports Records

Isaiah Smith, Reporter

This past week, GBHS has been very successful with multiple wins in wrestling, basketball, and boys swimming. To make this week even better, there has been three additional records to be broken at GBBHs, two in wrestling and one in boys swim.

In boys swimming, Ellis Long broke the school record for the 100 meter breaststroke with a time of 1:03.05, beating the previous time of 1:03.40. A breast stroke is a swimming technique when the swimmer is on their chest and their torso doesn’t rotate, making the motion knows as the breast stroke.

“It felt good to break the record” Long said, “it was a real moral boost for the rest of the season.”

In Boys wrestling, senior Wyatt Webber broke the school record for most career falls, beating the previous record of 68 .Webber is also on track to beat the school record for most falls in a season, needing just 5 more falls, which Avery Wolf broke last year with 27. A fall is best described when both opponents shoulders are in contact with the mat (a pin), a wrestler is rewarded a fall, which means they win the match.

Wyatt Webbers’ reaction to breaking the record was simply “it’s cool” he continues, “I guess I never really thought of it like that” making history for GBHS guys wrestling.

Also in boys wrestling, Senior Kaden Spragis broke the record for most major decisions in a single season, picking up his 9th major decision last tournament in Hays, beating the previous record of 8. A major decision is when the winner of the round wins by a margin of 8 or more points.

“It feels great to be part of great bend wrestling history” says Spragis, “It’s gonna make me want to more of them, the career record should just be around the corner.”

This past 2 weeks have been a very successful year for these two sports and the individuals should be recognized for the hard work and achievements they have accomplished. It’s not every day that you seen records being broken, so it’s cool seeing history in the making.