The Harm Coming with AI

As many have heard, AI or Artificial intelligence is a machine made to help solve problems. It has been around for a long time now but has recently become extremely popular due to the AI snapchat friend. If you are unaware of this, snapchat has an account that is pinned on everyone phone called My AI. Making it more tempting and easier to access. AI can be used for good in many ways but unfortunately we have many people out there who don’t use it that way. For example, Bernardmarr.com tells us “Artificial intelligence is also used to predict the development of diseases across a healthcare network. A group at Mount Sinai used deep learning-based AI algorithms to predict the development of diseases with 94% accuracy, including cancers of liver, rectum, and prostate”. I personally think AI is great to an extent. As we can see above, it can have a positive impact but not in the hands of the wrong people. I think only certain people should have access to the program. Trained individuals using it for work instead of children who are using to get out of doing homework. In fact, its become a real problem even here at Great Bend High School. Kayci Teghtmeyer is an English teacher here and has recently been put in a tough situation when she found out several students in her AP English Language Comp class used the AI to write there essays. In fact, they are only able to write there essays in class now with no phones out just so she can try to prevent them from cheating. AI is causing a lot of academic harm that can lead our generation down a rough path in the future. If students aren’t actually doing the material themselves but instead just asking a robot to do it, they aren’t properly  learning. If I’m being honest, there is a lot of academic stress and a loss of motivation in students so having something that can do your work for you being in your view every time you simply open snapchat is going to make the amount of students who cheat increase. Students aren’t learning the same when they don’t have to actually think about the subjects. This can cause major problems in the future when it comes to us being the new leaders and taking over companies. Slate.com says “Using an A.I. program is not “plagiarism” in the traditional sense—there’s no previous work for the student to copy, and thus no original for teachers’ plagiarism detectors to catch. Instead, a student first feeds text from either a single or multiple sources into the program to begin the process. The program then generates content by using a set of parameters on a topic, which then can be personalized to the writer’s specifications. With a little bit of practice, a student can use AI to write his or her paper in a fraction of the time that it would normally take to write an essay”. The whole point of a writing assignment is to get you to think and help you develop writing skills. If you aren’t writing it yourself or getting inspo from AI, you aren’t getting the creatively thinking aspect. AI is making it easier then ever for students to cheat. And having this exposer to not having to do your work yourself at such a young age will have a bad impact later on. In all, I think AI was a great achievement for the human kind and can be used for good but is an awful thing education wise.