The student news site of Great Bend High School

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Thank You

Thank you to the following businesses for supporting the Great Bend High School Journalism programs.

Is the iPhone 12 Really Worth Getting?

Apple’s latest phone, the iPhone 12 Pro, comes with tons of new features. However, not all of these features are necessary or will ever get used by the average person. So I’m here to examine the pros and cons of the latest iPhone, and answer a question many people have probably asked themselves, is it worth the cost?

The iPhone 12 Pro is listed at $999.00 on the Apple website. Now, on the Apple website, the first features listed are the A14 Bionic chip, which is what lets the iPhone run itself and controls how much internal memory the phone has, the changes to the camera system, and the Ceramic Shield, which protects the screen. 

Now let’s go through these one at a time. The first feature is the A14 chip. To put it simply, the smartphone’s “chip” is what lets it function. The chip controls every aspect of the phone, from how websites appear, to how bright the screen is. It also runs all of the apps on the phone. The new chip is a tiny 5 nanometers, making it easier to put more features in the phone. This chip also has 11.8 billion transistors, which means it runs very quickly. So basically, this is one of, if not the fastest phone currently on the market. Then comes the changes to the camera system. Apple added a feature called LiDAR, which is an app used in augmented reality that creates depth maps of a room using light reflection. This means that you can “[T]transform a room into a realistic rainforest or show you exactly how a new sneaker will fit”. This also means that you can now take detailed photos at night because your phone can automatically correct for light and shadow with LiDAR. The iPhone 12 pro also sports a 2.5x zoom, so that you can get high detail photos without being right next to the subject. Lastly is the Ceramic Shield. This is a feature that comes with every 12 Pro and protects the screen from drops so that the phone is always looking its best.

With all of its new features, the iPhone 12 Pro is the best on the market. It’s definitely worth getting. But the next one will be even better. And we all know that iPhones are pricey. My advice is to wait a year for the price to go down, then reconsider. The iPhone 12 won’t be going anywhere, so there’s no harm in waiting.