The student news site of Great Bend High School

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Thank You

Thank you to the following businesses for supporting the Great Bend High School Journalism programs.

Hate Speech in Colleges Across America

Hate Speech in Colleges Across America

Hate speech is a thing that happens in day to day life. And although yes in America we have freedom of speech. We should be using our freedom of speech for good, to speak out against the thing that it is wrong, not to be the ones creating the wrong. In three different Ivy League Colleges, students started protesting using hate speech. Hate speech against Jewish people. So how does hate speech affect students in america? Should the students in Ivy League Colleges be held to higher standards than the students in the other universities? Should the Presidents be punished for the students’ mistakes? 

How does hate speech affect students in America?

Allie Rowe, a senior at Great Bend High School stated, “It probably affects how they feel comfortable in the school setting.” 

Adam Hall, a senior said, “I honestly would say in some cases it can help build character and make people stronger mentally but in other cases it can create a hostile environment and affect their overall well-being.”

Thomas Henrikson, a senior said, “I feel that hate speech affects students in america because it can give them an uncomfortable nature whether it be, home, school, or any other work environment.”

Should students in Ivy League Colleges be held to higher standards?

Rowe continued, “Probably yes.”

Hall added, “I feel like the standards are higher but it shouldn’t really be about the school but about how much the student is willing and how much potential they have.” 

“Academically yes, personality no due to the fact we’re all people,” Henrikson continued. 

Should the presidents be punished for the students mistakes?

“No because it’s not his words so no,” Rowe added

“No I don’t think the presidents should be blamed for the students action because they can’t always ensure students will do what they want,” Hall continued

“I don’t think that the presidents should be punished for the students’ mistakes, they’re the presidents they just merely run the schools they don’t control the people themselves,” Henrikson added. 

So all in all, hate speech in America is a problem. But we’re all people. No matter the shape, size, color, gender, sexuality, race, religion. We are all people. We all get out of bed in the morning. We all live our lives. Don’t create a negative environment using your words. Create a positive one. Use your freedom of speech for good. And don’t blame the people that aren’t at fault for something they can not control.