The student news site of Great Bend High School

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Thank You

Thank you to the following businesses for supporting the Great Bend High School Journalism programs.

Panther History of the Month

This month’s Panther History story is about the art of “giving.” Throughout our whole world there are people constantly giving and receiving, but are you giving? Or do you keep receiving? The point of this story is to motivate the human self to remember what “giving” might be. All people have been surrounded by giving. Whether we’re talking about the sun or the moon. They both give. Your family gives. Your friends give. Even your school bully gives. We can’t live without giving because god GAVE to receive us. He showed everyone how and we learned to pick up where he left off. The kind soul derives from a realistic source, the lord.

As I was reviewing the previous Panther Tales book of 1958-1960, I became most interested in the story ‘Think It Over,’ by Lynda Waters.

It explained, “It is the “backbone” that revitalizes the group by the optimistic viewpoint that nothing is impossible if the desire for accomplishment is present.” I was most interested in the way she put it. It was something that caught my eye and one way or another I would’ve found myself writing about it. This intrigued me to continue reading and as I reached the end of the story, I was sort of struck by this short script. Stating, 

–“And I must keep giving again and again?” My selfish and querulous answer ran. “Oh, no,” said the angel, – His glance pierced me through, – “Just give till the master stops giving to you.”–

When I read that piece, it seemed like everything that was said fit into one understanding. I think this story should be remembered time after time as a reminder. According to researchers at Stony Brook University, when we’re generous our brains release several chemicals that give us a sense of joy and peace. Allowing some people the WANT to give. If this is something you’re interested in, below is the reviewed script.

Think It Over 

BY:LYNDA WATERS, GUEST EDITORIALIST 

God created the sun – it gives.

God created the moon –  it gives.

God created the sea – it gives.

God created you – do you give?

In the ever changing world of today, youth is being asked continually to  GIVE. Consider for the moment, the first law of life – “Giving.” Not money, time, or talent; but self. 

Much has been said concerning school spirit, and the responsibility of the individual toward its achievements – academically, as well aesthetically. Many activities are offered the high school student, all demanding a portion of his time.

Too often the individual is content with being a “joiner” so that he may have a voice – but the net result is merely a “Jawbone”!

Or perhaps a group is joined with the thought in mind, that someone else will do what is necessary. However, the “Wishbone” accomplishes nothing.

It is the “Backbone” that revitalizes the group by the optimistic viewpoint that nothing is impossible if the desire for accomplishment is present.

And I must keep giving again and again?” My selfish and querulous answer ran. “Oh, no,” said the angel, – His glance pierced me through, – “Just give till the master stops giving to you.

________________________________________________________________