The student news site of Great Bend High School

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Thank You

Thank you to the following businesses for supporting the Great Bend High School Journalism programs.

Panther History of the Month

This month’s Panther history regards the past and present of various ways for students to be recognized. From the Citizen of Tomorrow award to the student of the week and Panther Praise. All representing different kinds of recognition awards or praises.

On November 16th, 1962, PantherTales published a story about the Citizen of Tomorrow Award. The award is based on a student’s activities and outstanding achievements. The contest is truly equitable, in that all names are blocked out and not revealed to the committee. In this way, the contest expresses true character rather than popularity.

Today, Great Bend High School has an all school connect, once every month. During all school connect, the Assistant Principal, Kip Wilson, will read five or six Panther Praises to recognize both students and staff.

Wilson said, “Hopefully it makes them feel good about themselves, hopefully it reinforces the good things that they’re doing in our building, and hopefully that it motivates other students to continue to do good things or to find ways to be positive and have a positive influence on our building.”

Junior Steven Guillory, a student who previously received a Panther Praise, said, “It was neat, it happened, it was enjoyable.” In Guillory’s opinion, he said, “It’s a neat way to reward students who do well.”

Wilson also said, “We usually do between five and six students each month. Again, I usually get nominations for more than that, via email. We had to cut that down to five or six just because of the time we have in the gym, but I do go ahead and pass those nominations on, so even if they don’t get their name read in the gym I still let them read and see that email.” 

Students are also able to nominate teachers for anything they feel might need recognition. Wilson says, “Similar to with students, we hope with teachers it helps them feel good about what they’re doing and helps them get a little positivity and just to encourage them to keep on with the positive things that they’re doing in our building and taking care of kids. We want them to feel good about themselves and what they’re doing.”

Senior Allie Rowe has also received a Panther Praise and said, “It makes me feel very appreciated.” 

Rowe’s opinion on Panther Praise is that, “They are very good for the school and I think they make people feel appreciated if they’re not noticed normally in school.” 

If a teacher wanted to give a student a Panther Praise, some reasons for it would be the following: they saw a good deed, the student has always helped in a way, the student is always respectful, responsible, or safe, or other things that positively impacts or encourages the school.