The student news site of Great Bend High School

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Thank You

Thank you to the following businesses for supporting the Great Bend High School Journalism programs.

Christmas Cheer

Christmas+Cheer

It’s that time of year again. Christmas is just around the corner with many fun and exciting activities celebrated by joyful people. Christmas is an annual holiday that is celebrated by more than 160 countries around the world. Many cheerful people come around during the holiday for family gatherings to give and receive gifts. 

Sophomore Caitlyn Roach said, “We go to my grandpa’s and have a party. My whole family gets together.” Roach’s favorite part about Christmas is seeing everyone happy, smiling, and getting what they wanted. 

Junior Jade Audus said, “My favorite part of Christmas is putting up the tree.” 

A website, The Pioneer Woman, states, “Black Friday is when most Americans set up their tree. A poll by Axios Local surveyed 1,834 people and found that 55.5% of respondents set up trees the day after Thanksgiving, and just 20.5% do it before Turkey Day (5.5% said it’s never too early).”  

Audus also said, “Playing in the snow,” is her favorite activity during Christmas time. 

Believing in Santa is another part of Christmas that’s particularly aimed for younger children. Audus and Roach said they believed in Santa when they were younger. Most parents say that Santa is from the North Pole and has a million little elves that help make presents for good boys and girls and the naughty ones get coal in their stockings. Some may think it’s a bribe for children to be good, so parents don’t have to buy gifts for their bad behavior. 

Some people enjoy baking Christmas sweets as well. It can be a hobby or an activity they look forward to when this time comes around. Audus said she does, meanwhile, Roach said, “Yes and no, it kinda depends because we’re not really the type that does Christmas sweets.” 

Roach said, “I spend Christmas with my whole family. All the Roach’s come.” A Pew Research website says, “89% of people spend Christmas with their family and friends and 8% spend Christmas alone.” A Family Search website said, “Today, more than 2 billion people in more than 160 countries consider Christmas to be the most important holiday of the year. In the United States, 9 in 10 people celebrate the holiday—even if they are not Christian.”