The student news site of Great Bend High School

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Thank You

Thank you to the following businesses for supporting the Great Bend High School Journalism programs.

Getting Started

Getting+Started

High schoolers are at the age where they can get jobs to save money before heading out to college or to learn how to manage their money in a way they aren’t particularly used to. Going into college, students often need money to start making a living. The process could be fairly simple or it could be overwhelming. It may be a lot to handle for a young adult moving out of their home and being away from their family. Homesickness is one of the toughest things college students face.

Senior Danica Strickland said, “I’m going to Barton to get my Gen ED’s (General Studies) out of the way then I’m gonna transfer to Fort Hays to get my teaching degree.” She said she might be a little homesick after leaving. 

“I work at Perkins,” she stated. Students with side jobs are able to put back more money for college savings. Although getting the extra money is helpful at times, it could also have a chance of reducing your academic performances. Fortune, an American global business magazine headquartered in New York City states, “Students who work while enrolled in college are about 20% less likely to complete their degrees than similar peers who don’t work.”

Working a part-time job in college can help students pay for personal expenses and emergency supplies when needed. College students would have to have a steady paycheck to pay for their basic needs.

Senior, Kasey Kennedy says he plans on going to Northwest Lineman Center in Denton, Texas. He’s currently working at an auto parts store as his side job. He claims he won’t feel homesick when he leaves for college. 

When asked what he is most excited for, Kennedy said, “Leaving high school.” There are high schoolers who are ready to leave and get out of high school and there are other high schoolers who are not ready to leave. 

People similar to Strickland who aren’t sure about if they might feel homesick usually have a strong connection with their family or depend a lot on them unlike students like Kennedy who are confident and ready to leave high school. Many students like the “freedom” they get to experience and the independence when starting a new journey filled with new responsibilities.

College students are more likely to own a home instead of being in poverty or struggling. People who do not go to college have less of a chance to gain knowledge. Students don’t necessarily need to go to college to earn a stable income. Whether students go to college or not they can find their interests someway, somehow.