The student news site of Great Bend High School

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Thank You

Thank you to the following businesses for supporting the Great Bend High School Journalism programs.

S and J Trucking, Inc

Softball Wrap Up

Ellie Newman
#35 DeShawna Bryant

As the schools year wraps up that also means that sports seasons are coming to a close. One of the many sports coming to a close in the next couple weeks is softball. Softball is rounding the last few games of the season so let’s see what the team thinks of the season.

Freshman Chayla Prendergast is pitcher on the varsity team and stated, “The hardest part of the season was probably the first couple weeks of practice because it was a mix of trying to be able to figure out positions and abilities and also just getting the team to work cohesively.” She continued, “The easiest part of the season is probably being able to be supportive of everyone and excited no matter where everyone is on the field. We all encourage each other and it just makes everything work much more smoothly.” Prendergast’s favorite part of the season has been getting to know all of the girls and being able to form a bond with them. She then states that she feels senior Paige Thexton is one of the most valuable players to the team because, “on top of her being a phenomenal player, she also bring this amazing energy and hypes everyone up, which I think is amazing.”

Sophomore Heidi Jording is a pitcher and second basemen on JV, was unable to play the first four games of the season due to having surgery and she stated that this was the hardest part of the season. “I’m not sure what the easiest part of the season was, everything came with a challenge,” stated Jording.

Jording’s favorite part of the season was spending time and getting to know her teammates. She agreed that Thexton is one of the most valuable players on the team because, “she is a great role model and player. She is respectful and always seems to bring a smile to someone’s face.”

Freshman first baseman and pitcher for JV, Adelle Smith, said that her favorite part pf the season was building friendships with the other girls. Smith made a great point when she continued, “The hardest part of the season has been trying to work as a team when we all have not played with each other ever so we had to start from the beginning.” 

She considered Heidi Jording, Ava Carter, Mya Krebaum, and Josephine (Josie) Belvins. “I picked those girls because they are always inspiring and they always have a drive to be better,” stated Smith

Senior and second basemen, Halle Post said that the easiest part of the season was bond with her teammates. “All players on the field are valuable because we all work together to get the job done,” continued Post. She believes that the most difficult part of the season was when a large majority of the team was battling illnesses on the biggest week for the varsity team. Her favorite part of the season was the second day of the Dodge City tournament when they beat a really difficult team. 

With the last game day coming up for the JV girls, they will travel to Salina for a double header playing the winner or loser in the second game, there will be four teams including our very own lady panthers. The girls have a current record of 14 wins and two loses and the varsity girls have a record of 17 wins and five loses. 

Come out and support the lady panthers finish out their season strong!