Getting Over Your ACT Fear

Students learning helpful tips for the ACT

Sayler Peplinski, Writer

The ACT is a well known test that can make some students nervous to take, but eventually you have to face your fear and take it. For the people who are planning on taking it they have the opportunity to go to the ACT study sessions with Mrs. Wolters who can give them some helpful tips and help them manage their time when they are taking the test “the ACT is a test that can be prepared for — just like any other test you take in school” said Mrs. Wolters. If you are not in these study sessions and you plan on taking the ACT it is strongly recommended” to go to these study sessions. If you do go to these study you could raise your score by a few numbers which may not sound like much but for the ACT that is a lot and can help you get a scholarship to the school that you want to go to. These study sessions are not the only things that can help you Emma Bieker for instance said “my AP classes have helped me a lot with preparing for the ACT.” Do not be alarmed if you are not taking any AP classes and you are taking the ACT this year. There are many other ways that you can prepare for the ACT Mrs. Wolters has given these few tips to help you prepare.

• Map out a study schedule (It is easier to break up the review into smaller sessions, rather than trying to cram)
  • Attend the evening review sessions will provide for a nice review prior to the test
  • Students should complete practice problems (online or paper tests), and review content (online programs, apps, etc.)
  • Students should enroll in challenging courses, pay attention in class and learn all material for the long term, not just to pass a test
  • It is strongly encouraged to not let your senior year be the first time you test
  • Most students should take the test once or twice during their junior year. If a student is in advanced classes, then taking it their sophomore year for the first time should be considered
  • It is best not to let the ACT stress you out. If you allow yourself enough time, you can test multiple times in order try to achieve your goal score