The student news site of Great Bend High School

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Thank You

Thank you to the following businesses for supporting the Great Bend High School Journalism programs.

Glow Boutique
Advertise Here

What Makes Halloween Special

Some parents like Halloween. Some kids like Halloween. But some don’t think Halloween is fun and it may even be pointless. There’s a large number of people who participate in Halloween because for one night, you get to dress up as anything.

An ODU psychology professor said, “It’s all about the adrenaline rush, the bonding experience, and getting to become someone else for a night.” Many people enjoy that because they don’t get noticed enough or they get noticed too much and want a break. 

Parents worry about taking their children trick or treating because they get so much candy. If they don’t keep an eye on them or watch where they hide the candy, they can overload on sugar. Although, some kids only participate for the candy.

Junior, Jade Audus says her favorite part of Halloween is getting lots of candy. It was hard for her to pick her favorite but her favorite candy is Reeses.

“I participate in Halloween every year,” she said. Her most favorite Halloween memory is going trick or treating with her little sister and that it’s “always so fun.” Many people love Halloween just so they can spend time with their siblings and create a bonding experience for both of you. 

On the other hand, some people enjoy Halloween because they can celebrate Macabre, which means disturbing and horrifying because of involvement with or depiction of death and injury. People enjoy the thrill and excitement that comes with the darker side of Halloween, which is the opposite when celebrating a holiday such as Christmas.

However, if you’re not into Halloween or you don’t have kids then you may be the one to stay home and pass out candy.  The positive side is seeing the happy children when you give them candy.  The negative is having to buy candy, just to give it away.  Some people are grumpy all the time and don’t feel the need to get candy just to give it away, so they leave their porch light off.

Overall, Halloween is a highly valued holiday where people can spend quality time and maybe share their creativity in their costumes.