The student news site of Great Bend High School

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Thank You

Thank you to the following businesses for supporting the Great Bend High School Journalism programs.

Panther Band Competes in WAC

The Great Bend High Schools Band competed in WAC on October 17, 2023 at Liberal HIgh School. Drum majors Emilee Nelson, senior, and Ramiro Ponce, senior, have led the band in an astounding way of course with help from band teachers Grant Matthews and Dawn Regehr. At the high school, staff and students alike are very excited for what is next in store for the band.

Nelson and Ponce led the band to get a score of 2 at WAC and Ponce stated, “It was a score i’m happy with, the bands that did get ones deserved it and you could tell they deserved the ones”  while Nelson said, “I thought we could’ve done better and we have done better, but it’s what we did and I think it’s the best we could’ve done in that instance.”

This is both Nelson and Ponce’s final year as drum majors for GBHS since they are graduating this year. While yes we are sad to see them go, we know that they are moving onto bigger and better things. Nelson is going to New York to play in a concert band and majoring in musical theater while what college she is going to is still yet to be decided. Ponce has not yet decided on where he is going to go and what he is going to do but we are obviously excited to see what he pursues.  

Nelson when asked what is next in store and what we should expect from the Panther band this year she stated, “I think if i’m being honest they are going to have a rebuilding year but I think we are leaving them in good hands. They are led by good people and they are very talented individuals. Our freshman class is the best I’ve seen in the midst of a hard show. They are a super good group.” Ponce, who was asked the same question, responded with, “Growth in numbers in the band and more growth in support from the school”. 

We are all so proud of the band for their amazing performances and their dedication thus far. We are also very excited to see what is next in store for them in the near future.