The student news site of Great Bend High School

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Thank You

Thank you to the following businesses for supporting the Great Bend High School Journalism programs.

Emotional Support Animals Allowed in Classrooms?

Emotional Support Animals (ESA) are a very common thing in the world at the moment. But with ESAs there’s a lot of things that have to be tackled. Including going to school. There are people who are allergic to animals, people that have, traumatic experiences with animals, and people who simply do not like them. So, should ESAs be allowed in classrooms? What are the challenges faced with ESAs in classrooms and how does it affect learning? 

ESA’s are something that are very helpful and important. But should they be allowed in the classrooms?

Kyler Harris, a senior at Great Bend High School said, “It depends on what for.”

“I think it would help kids who can’t focus as much and don’t want to work,” Lindsay Behnke, an English teacher at Great Bend High School, stated.

There are challenges every person with an ESA must face. Even more so in the classroom. What are those challenges? Animals need to go to the bathroom. They may distract students from what they’re learning. Some kids could be allergic to the animal. 

“My only worry would be that some kids would get distracted and wouldn’t want to get their work done,” Behnke stated. 

What are the positive aspects of ESA’s in classrooms? They could help some kids focus on their work. They could help kids who are being bullied and possibly need some more emotional help than what some people can give them. How exactly do these challenges and positives affect students’ learning?

Donna Nett, a Special Education teacher at Great Bend High School stated, “I think for my kids it would be wonderful, we have a lot of kids who struggle emotionally.”

“She has changed what counsling looks like in my office.  When kids are upset she is a welcome distraction.  It can be easier to get things out when you are petting a dog, sometimes it is easier to tell your problems to Willa than to me.  She makes kids smile on hall duty.  I feel like she has helped our billing a lot but I am a little biased.” Rachel Thexton stated about her therapy dog Willa that comes to school with her.

ESA’s are a very important thing in the world. People everywhere use ESA’s as a way to cope with their problems. But there are challenges that will be faced no matter what. ESA’s could affect learning. On the other there are also positives with that. So what’s your opinion? Should ESA’s be allowed in classrooms?