The student news site of Great Bend High School

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Thank You

Thank you to the following businesses for supporting the Great Bend High School Journalism programs.

Advertise Here

Strikes in the Medical Field

Strikes in the Medical Field

Many students at Great Bend High School plan on going into the medical field like juniors, Briley Richter, Adrianna Estes, and Ally Howard. 

Richter is planning on becoming a speech pathologist in communication disorder, Estes is a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) and is already practicing this line of work, and Howard hopes to become a CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist).

All over the world medical professionals are going on strike due to unfair pay and unfair treatment of staff members. At Queens Hospital in Romford, England, doctors, nurses, and many other of their staff have gone on strike due to their pay. Doctors there get paid as low as 14.09 pounds which is equal to about $17.80 per hour. To some of us, yes this may seem like a lot of money but we have to take into consideration that the cost of living is different in almost every country. These doctors are making as much as people working in a popular sandwich chain there. 

People in Europe tend to go into healthcare not for the money but because of the well being of people. Many could argue that it is the same here as well but the harsh reality is that many people here in America tend to go into healthcare not because they care for the well being of others but simply because they are aware of how much money people in that career field make. 

Estes, Richter, and Howard all agree that they should be allowed to go on strike because “it is their right.” Which it is but there are some people who think that because flu season is upon us that they should hold off on the strike until it is over. 

All three girls believe that there should be no limitations to the strikes. Howard stated, “there is no better time to validate their work because they are being overworked and understaffed.”

So panthers, what do you think? Should there be limitations? Should they be allowed to strike? If you plan on going into the medical field I would suggest taking situations like this into account.