The student news site of Great Bend High School

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Thank You

Thank you to the following businesses for supporting the Great Bend High School Journalism programs.

S and J Trucking, Inc

Women’s History Month Celebrations

Womens History Month Celebrations

Women’s History Month is important because it’s honoring the contributions of past women that have made an impact in the world. There’s a lot one person could say about Women’s History Month. This month is about realizing you need ongoing effort to reach progress, in this case, through women. 

Women are often underestimated in situations like what would be more manlier or tougher because some men believe most women are housewives, housekeepers, babysitters, or nannies. But there are also many women who do the undefiable because they are confident in themselves or they want to make a difference.

Senior Darcy Feist explains, “Women need to have the mindset that we’re going to face adversity every day. People will constantly try to blame us or take away our achievements but we have to learn to lean on other women for support and not succumb to society’s depiction of women.”

“What can lead a woman to be the best she can be, is support and perseverance to keep pushing for what she wants. A good, clear, and courageous mindset can push women to realize they are capable of all things,” sophomore Emery Meza describes.

Meza said, “A good way to recognize the strength women have, but can’t express or show is by realizing how many women accomplish unique and courageous things just by stating their own opinion and being their true self.” 

“I think the best way to recognize the strength girls have is to give us equal representation. We deserve to be recognized in sports, as actors, and just as equal to men. On social media, men are quick to take away the achievements of women and that needs to change.” 

In Dallas, Texas, journalists post news stories about what goes on in their city. Yesterday, they posted a news story about the city celebrating Women’s History Month. They have celebrations and parties that include luncheons, DIY (Do It Yourself) arts and crafts, bead clubs, salutes and more. 

Feist said, “I would for sure have a board night to celebrate girl dinner!”

Meza describes how she’d throw a celebration for this type of occasion. 

“If I were throwing a celebration for Women’s History Month I would get as many roses as I could and give every woman I see with a rose until I run out to remind women just how beautiful and amazing they are!” said Meza.

Women, not just men, have brought us to be where we are in some ways today. Both male and female working together can make things work in life. They both have the capabilities to become successful.