The student news site of Great Bend High School

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Thank You

Thank you to the following businesses for supporting the Great Bend High School Journalism programs.

Glow Boutique

Mental Health Awareness

Mental health is emotional, psychological, and social well-being. Mental health is very important for everyone. It affects the way you think, feel and act.

It’s easiest for people to pay more attention to their physical well-being rather than emotional well-being because everyday an average person would compare themselves to one another and give them inspiration or degrade them to where they feel like they need to be better. This would cause a person to be more attentive to their physical well-being. It’s also common for people to care more for their emotions than how people think of them.

Sophomore Sariah Cox said, “People can feel distressed by a person’s good influence because they feel they can’t amount to a person like them. It could also be that they’re jealous of that person. Jealousy can put strain on the mind and that wouldn’t be healthy for a person’s mentality.” 

Freshman Jackson Leiker said, “Yes and no. There’s a lot of times when good influences encourage them to be their better self and a lot of times where you think you have to be as good as that person. You might have anxiety that another person could be stealing the person you like. When your mental health isn’t very good then you would probably experience anxiety and depression.”

Cox, as well as Leiker, also said when mentioning mental health they think of depression and anxiety.

Mental health could very much make someone depressed. Having a certain negative mindset could set you off into the depression phase because it’s all in your head and mental is relating to the mind.

“For coping with mental health, you can try stress balls, listening to music, or talking to a therapist,” Leiker stated.

Cox said, “Some ways to cope with your mental health is music, sleeping, or enjoying the sun shine.”

When comparing mental and physical health, both are important to a person. You need a positive mindset in order to set and  achieve goals. Physical health is needed because if you don’t take care of your physical health, you could get unhealthy and it could bring down your mental health.

Leiker stated, “I think your mental health is more important because if you don’t have good mental health then you won’t take care of yourself physically.”

Cox said, “Physical health is important because you could drag your mental health down and think differently about yourself.”

“Both physical and mental health are important because they’re a part of you and it has to do with what happens to you. Depression is more commonly associated with mental health in some situations and experiencing depression can cause a higher risk of having a physical condition,” said Cox. 

“Physical health is important because you need your body to work properly then you have to take care of yourself. Mental health is definitely important because mental health is a lot of reasons why physical health fails, that’s why they both matter,” Leiker explained.

It’s always important to take care of your mental health because when people don’t you often turn to drugs or other different alternatives that may lead people to believe it’s the only way to make things better. Without proper care for your mental health, you wouldn’t be able to take care of your physical health. It can lead to, not only drug use, but suicide, unnecessary disability, and poor quality of life. You should alway keep your mental and physical health in mind when going through tough times.