The student news site of Great Bend High School

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Thank You

Thank you to the following businesses for supporting the Great Bend High School Journalism programs.

S and J Trucking, Inc

Great Bend High Students Call For A Change!

Did you know that girls could only wear skirts, no yoga pants, no jeans, only skirts at one point in history?  The dress code is very out of date, the current one we have hasn’t been re-written in more than three years. The history of the dress code has changed from many years ago from girls not being able to wear pants. There are many challenges with the current dress code. But the overall thing you need to know, how do you change it?

The dress code is majorly outdated and some of our students agreed with that statement. One of our principals even agreed with it. So it definitely needs an update. Because it seems to be stuck in the 90s . 

Mr. Klausen who has been working at this school for three years now declared “I believe that you could get it changed, you just have to try. But I feel it’s going to be hard to make him happy.” He continued,  “I never thought of it being harder to shop for those things. Times change, so honestly how long has it been” 

What is the history of the dress code? Where did it come from? What changed within it? These are all very important questions that you should know. Miss Hiss is a former student at Great Bend High school. She has been teaching for 45 years.  

Miss Hiss stated, “We could only wear dresses and skirts until my junior year.” She continued, “During my junior year we could wear dress slacks but it wasn’t until my senior year girls could wear jeans.” 

Some of the challenges students feel they face are that teachers and administrators feel that they are trying to show off to the world when in reality they are just comfortable in those clothes. If the teachers have to enforce it  shouldn’t they get an opinion on what they are enforcing? Same with the students shouldn’t they get a voice in what they have to do. 

Braleigh Ringo, a senior at Great Bend High School stated, “It’s unfair to both boys and girls.  They make girls feel they have to cover up things and boys don’t.”  

Trinity Reves, a sophomore at Great Bend High School expressed, “We have been put into a society where girls feel the need to cover up or something bad will happen.

How do you change it? Well it’s very simple. Sign a petition. Write a letter. Go to the principles.  Talk to the student board. Say you want a change! But you can’t just say it, you have to do it. You have to make the change happen. You have to be the change you want. If you want a change, you need to make it happen.

Be the change. In today’s society many things have changed since the 2000s and now we are facing the times that things are not the same as it was. Everyday girls have to wake up and make sure that their clothes fit the school dress code. The school’s dress code is out of date. But it is not as bad as it used to be. Everyone faces challenges with the dress code. Now it’s time for you to change it. Everyone that is reading this article right now, go to the principals. Use your voice. Call out the things that are wrong. Say it now or never say it!  They hear us.  Please use your voices! Use them for what matters! Get the dress code changed! Go to them and say what you have to say!