The student news site of Great Bend High School

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Panther Tales

Thank You

Thank you to the following businesses for supporting the Great Bend High School Journalism programs.

Fall Breeze and Autumn Leaves

Fall breeze and Autumn Leaves

How do you feel about fall? Do you like the different colored leaves falling and brushing against you? Have you ever wondered why or how they get their colors? If so then this story is for you. Some of my favorite things to do during the fall season are make giant leaf piles and jump into them and start watching halloween movies.What are some of your favorite things to do during the fall season?

It is said that green leaves are the most common type of leaves, they get their color from Chlorophyll which is a green pigment you find in plants that allows plants to absorb energy from the light.Red leaves get their color from Anthocyanin which is a pigment that protects the leaves from stress of photo inhibitory light,but it can also make the leaves a bluish or purple color. Carotene is a gold,orange leaf and it helps the leaf dissipate the excess energy, and shield the proteins-membranes by acting as a screen light. 

The last leaf color is Yellow and its pigment is Xanthophyll and you can find this pigment in all of the most green plants. As I interviewed Sophomore Makayla Cross about how she feels about the different colored leaves she says “ I like how they are”. I asked her what was one thing she liked about fall and she said “watching the leaves fall from the trees”. As I asked, what her overall opinion on fall was and she said “It’s not much but just watching the leaves”.

In my opinion I think fall is very beautiful,the different colored leaves just give me happy feelings and I like the bright colors they give off, and I would recommend researching all of the different leaves and how they get their colors.